Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting

Saturday was my father's 59th birthday so I decided to make his favorite cake as a surprise. His favorite cake happens to be Carrot Cake and of course I had never made one before which lead me to researching all different recipes. I found a ton of recipes until I came across one I thought would be perfect with the addition of one more ingredient. The extra ingredient I added was chopped walnut pieces because he loves just about every type of nut and I knew he would love the addition of them here. I have to admit throughout the baking I was worried that it wouldn't taste good but he reassured me in the end by being very surprised and saying he believes it is the best Carrot Cake he has ever had! I apologize for not taking more pictures but I wasn't even thinking about that at the time but if you need a great Carrot Cake recipe and Cream Cheese Frosting here you go!
 
Carrot Cake:
 
Ingredients:
2 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
4 eggs
3/4 cups vegetable oil
1/2 cup applesauce
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup light brown sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 cups grated carrots
1 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
 
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two 8 inch cake pans. Set aside.
2. Whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a small bowl. Set aside.
3. Mix together the eggs, vegetable oil, applesauce, light brown sugar, granulated sugar, and vanilla in a large electric mixing bowl.
4. Stir in the small bowl of dry ingredients then fold in carrots and walnuts.
5. Divide between your two 8 inch round pans.
6. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
 
 
Cream Cheese Frosting:
 
Ingredients:
16 oz. of cream cheese, softened
8 oz. of unsalted butter, room temperature
4 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 cups powdered sugar
 
Directions:
1. In an electric mixing bowl cream the butter and cream cheese together until smooth.
2. Slowly add 2 cups of powdered sugar and vanilla extract while continuing to mix for 3 minutes.
3. Add last two cups of powdered sugar and mix for another 3 minutes or until smooth.
4. Frost cake and enjoy!
 
 
Lots of Love,  Natalie
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment